“Are you ok?” is a simple question, but one which can have enormous power. It is a question that can help forge the sense of belonging and connectedness that is crucial to preventing suicide.
Thursday 10 September 2015 is R U OK? Day, a day when Australians are urged to take the time to have face-to-face, meaningful conversations with those around them. R U OK? is a not-for-profit organisation founded in 2009 by Gavin Larkin. The mission of R U OK? is to encourage and equip everyone to regularly and meaningfully ask “are you ok?”.
What can you do to participate?
- Ask “are you ok?” and really listen to the answer – it’s a life changing habit that we should all adopt
- If you are at CSU Bathurst, join in the R U OK? Day activities that are happening all day on the Library Lawn
- Check out the R U OK? website, especially this great page aimed at the needs of Uni Students – you guys really know how stress and overwork can take its toll
- Join the conversation on Facebook
- Share your story of a time that someone was there for you – write, show and share the love
- Follow R U OK? Day on Instagram
If you would like further information on suicide-prevention, our Library collection contains many valuable resources, such as these ebooks, which you can download today:
Did you know that CSU provides access to free and confidential counselling for CSU students and for CSU staff? If you need someone to talk to, follow the links to make an appointment today.