Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Just arrived! Things I didn't know by Robert Hughes


Things I didn't know: a memoir by Robert Hughes is now available in the CSU Library. This wonderful book documents Hughes childhood in Sydney, his early forays into art criticism in Australia and then in Europe and his failed marriage. The book concludes with Hughes leaving England to take up the post of art critic at Time magazine. The first chapter where Hughes talks frankly about his near fatal car accident near Broome in 1999 is particularly good.

Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous6:45 pm

    I borrowed this book from my local library in Melbourne. It is very good although I think Hughes comes across as bitter at times when he talks about Australia. Well worth reading especially as he writes so wonderfully.

    Pauline

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous2:09 pm

    I've read this book - it's good but god Hughes certainly hates Australia.

    ReplyDelete